Historical Church Tour

Display:
Historical Church Tour

Historical Church Tour

A Self Guided Tour Of Remaining Early Churches Built Before 1900 in Steuben County, Indiana

 Download Historical Tour Brochure Location Map

Historical Brochure Cover  

 “Before the  rst churches were built, religion was carried to the frontier

by the circuit rider, a preacher on horseback.  e circuit rider visited

pioneer families in their own cabins. He carried a Bible and a hymnbook

in his saddlebag. He preached at crossroad settlements, standing on a

stump or a wagon bed. He read from the Bible, prayed, and “lined out”

hymns, reading one line at a time, which the people sang after him. In

remote cabins he performed baptisms and marriages. He prayed over the

graves of the dead.

 

As settlements grew, communities organized congregations and built

churches at the crossroads.  e church became a social as well as a

religious center. It was a place of community socials and suppers, of

Christmas entertainments, of Sunday School parties and neighborhood

gatherings.  e frontier church provided the  rst strong social bond in

new communities.

 

“Pioneer Life.”  e New Book of Knowledge. Grolier Online, 2015

Alvaredo United Methodist Church- Map Location 15

Alvaredo United Methodist Church- Map Location 15

The Alvarado United Methodist Church was built in the early 1850’s. On Sept. 8, 1853, the church and land were deeded to the Methodist Conference.

Angola United Methodist Church - Map Location 19

Angola United Methodist Church - Map Location 19

The Angola United Methodist Church was built in 1889-1890 and dedicated May 7, 1890. The building has been remodeled several times, once following a fire in 1948. Additions were  added in 1966 and 1994. One of the attractive features of the church is its beautiful stained glass windows, many of them original and all of which were gifts from friends of the church.

Clear Lake Bible Church - Map Location 11

Clear Lake Bible Church - Map Location 11

 Originally the Clear Lake Baptist Church, it was built in 1872. Since 2011, it has been the Clear Lake Bible Church.

First Congregational Church of Christ - Map Location 18

First Congregational Church of Christ - Map Location 18

The cornerstone of the First Congregational UCC was laid July 28, 1898 and the church was dedicated Feb. 18, 1900. The church is constructed of native stone and locally manufactured brick and is graced with stained glass windows on two sides. An educational addition was added in the 70’s.

Flint United Methodist Church - Map Location 5

Flint United Methodist Church - Map Location 5

Construction on the Flint United Methodist Church started in 1869 and was completed a few years later. It has been of the Methodist denomination since it was built.

Hamilton United Methodist Church - Map Location 16

Hamilton United Methodist Church - Map Location 16

 The Hamilton United Methodist Church was built in 1899-1900 and dedicated Jan. 7, 1900. It has been remodeled and enlarged several times.

Hudson United Brethren Church - Map Location 2

Hudson United Brethren Church - Map Location 2

 This church in Hudson was completed in the fall of 1887. After several additions this church is still being used.

Lake Gage Congregational Church - Map Location 6

Lake Gage Congregational Church - Map Location 6

The Lake Gage Congregational Church was organized in 1889. The church building was erected in 1890 and dedicated in 1891.

Metz Christian Church - Map Location 14

Metz Christian Church - Map Location 14

 This church was called “the Mother” of the Church of Christ in Steuben County. This church was built and dedicated in 1864.

Page 1 of 2